The group is the oldest of the island and founded in 1904.
Its original name was PHILHARMONIC MUSIC SCHOOL OF ITHACA.
Later, in 1914 founded the K.O.I. group (Charitavle Group of Ithaca) and the Philarmonic Orchestra of Ithaca fit in.
The group is a private entity, non-profit organization and aims of the free music learning place for young people and offering them a broader musical education. Participates in all aspects of the island, school,municipal, religious, ethnic and others. It also organizes concerts on the island and beyond.
For several decades housed in its own two-story building in downtown Ithaca.
In 1922 he founded the "Group Benefit Ithaca" (KOI), where he joined the Band and, thereafter forming the core of the group that includes the fields of cultural events, social solidarity (aid needy families) and recently the friends of Homer Group.
Chief conductor of the Philharmonic was Giuseppe Nikolina, who was called in 1904 from Italy to provide the bases and first directions in music education in Ithaca. He was followed by his son, Armando Nikolina.
The conductor's baton then passed to Aristotle Giustiniani from Corfu, Ithaca teacher and father of philology professor Nicholas Giustiniani, with large supply of both in the field of education in our island. A. Giustiniani succeeded Kimon Chips from Preveza, who also was closely linked to our island. The next time the conductor was Henry Tziniolis (Tsigkolis) from Corfu and then his son, Mario Tziniolis, now president of the conductors Greece.
In late 1930 made maestro John Phanariot from Corfu, which gave the light of the musical education of our island and the school music teacher in the difficult period of war and occupation. John Phanariot explains the rare manuscript collection of about 100, fully orchestrated, classic works for wind orchestra, percussion, currently listed in the file of the Philharmonic. The love shown to Ithaca and wrote music with the "Hymn of Ithaca" lyrics of the late Sophia Stefanatou teacher ("gathered many stones there ...").
Isidore was followed by Craig Corfu, Ioannina Gkezouar by DENARDOU and also from Corfu. By Chris Conti military reach in the late 1950's, when the conductor takes the first Ithakisios. Demetrius is Molfesis (Mitsolis), held today in time the "lion's share" in the Band 'music, teaching music and playing the saxophone tirelessly until the mid 1990's.
And we get to today, with worthy successors of the Ithakisios Gerasimos Molfesis, Elias Bogris, former conductor of the Athens City Police, a native of Tripoli, the Zafiris Zafeiropoulos very remarkable music from Patra, Michael Lazarus, a term the band City of Athens, and Telemachus Vlassopoulos, who value today bears the burden of such an important and long musical tradition.
In the 100 years History of the Philharmonic is the enormous contribution of the late Lamprostefanou Katsama, with the most years of service as President of KOI, and other notable compatriots (Spokesman, C. Maroudas, H. Tsigonias, S. Arsenis, A. Smart, etc.).
Many young children of our island that took their first musical knowledge by teachers of the Philharmonic during the 100 years of operation. And there are many who then excelled in music, having taken the foundation of the Philharmonic. An entire musical tradition was maintained, and became strengthened thanks to these efforts through the teaching and the succession from generation to generation. Today the Philharmonic musicians numbering about 25 members who reach 50 with the learners and covers all ages from early school years. The events involving the Philharmonic is more than two months, ie about thirty a year. New Year's concerts, ethnic, religious and school holidays, official ceremonies, concerts and entertainment in general participate in cultural events and ceremonies in and outside of Ithaca, linked to tradition and History of our country. Example let us mention the presence of the Philharmonic in celebration of the Union of the Ionian Islands, Athens, where she was responsible for organizing the Ithaca with events in the Cathedral of Athens, Syntagma Square and the literary association "Parnassus." But at concerts the nearby islands Philharmonic worthily represent the musical education of Ithaca.
Today the Philharmonic is housed in perfectly shaped room on the first floor of the building, next to the folklore Museum, on land donated in 1961 by Hector Drakoulis, along with the first money for the construction of the building.
He was followed Demetrius Tampizigos, with generous financial support for the same purpose. A tradition that now follows Mrs. Maria Delivoria-Papadopoulos, who with great financial support offers practical purposes of the foundation.
The Philharmonic Hall is impressive. Teaching space, fully equipped, soundproof walls and roof, two special soundproof booths for the starters (office-conductor Board.), A rare record fully orchestrated music, tasteful decor and attention to materials, displays of musical instruments from 1870 and previous seasons uniforms accessories that meet the needs of a musical folklore museum, photo archive and utility rooms.
A fully equipped music room teaching you the envy of many other cities of our country. The functional design and stylish appearance of the building, and the full utilization of space, due to the tireless effort and care Kouvara Angelo, who in the love of music continues the tradition of the late father, Baptiste.
The expenses of the KOI are many, with the principal repayments on loans taken for the configuration of the building. The remaining costs relate to the purchase and repair instruments and uniforms, and other management-operating costs.
A cost is imperative that today is the equipment of the Philharmonic with a computer for archiving music but also for the development of modern learning methods. KOI revenue from renting the ground floor of the building that currently houses the County Court of Ithaca, from banquets, from offers of donations, members and friends, financial support from the Philharmonic by the City of Ithaca, in which cooperation iscontinuous and harmonious, and other state agencies. But the needs are great and resources are not sufficient. Music lovers and Ithaca so far have provided continuously and practice to support them in Vienna. The Board of KOI is grateful for them and invites them to continue to support morally and financially the efforts of the foundation.