The temple was built at the beginning of 1923 by refugees and was completed in 1929.
It is the only cruciform church with a dome in Ithaca. All other temples are royal.
Saint Joachim Papoulakis holds a special place in the hearts of the people of Ithaca.
The relics of St. Joachim come here every year on May 23, with a procession from St. Barbara and remain in the church until the end of summer, for the convenience of visitors to the island.